Have a hang up about fats? Throw that mindset away and invite the mentality that nutty butters do a body good. Mere from MereNuttyKitchen (instagram), has proven that eating healthy includes eating fat – delicious nutty fat that not only supports better energy and hair, but helps focus. You’ll love the dishes she’s created. They look delicious, beautiful and healthy to eat. We want them all. Nom. Nom.
1. One glance at your instagram page and anyone can see that you love a good nutty butter dish. So, why the peaked interest in nutty butters?
Yes! I try and live up to the name MeresNuttyKitchen with my (some would call) excessive consumption of nut butters. I actually used to be very weary of fats, as I’m sure many people can relate to the past when all the media slammed in our faces was articles on how bad they were for us. When I started to realize how much my energy, hair, and focus was fueled by fats, I began introducing more and more healthy varieties into my diet. Needless to say nut butter was my favorite! It goes so well on anything! Oatmeal, pancakes, sweet potatoes, smoothies, rice cakes, SPOONS..
2. I’m not sure about your schedule, but mine gets packed! How do you prepare meals for your busy days?
My schedule is definitely go, go, go! I wake up practically before the birds, head out to the gym, come home to shower, eat breakfast (Instagram breakfast), and then head out for a full day of work. Believe me the last thing I want to do is cook when I get home! I actually prepare almost all of my meals on Sunday. Roasting a tray of vegetables, baking sweet potatoes, grilling turkey burgers is all super easy to make in bulk. If I don’t have any food prepared, I always rely on freezer staples like Hilary’s Eat Well veggie burgers or make a trip to the Whole Foods salad bar.
3. Has recipe development always been easy for you?
Well, I think the “idea” part has always been easy for me. I get these crazy ideas and visions in my head of exactly what I want to something to look and taste like, but oftentimes I’m at a standstill of how to actually accomplish that. I didn’t grow up with anyone who cooked or baked or knew that we even had a kitchen, so most of my experience has come from cookbooks, blogs, or pure experimentation. I can’t tell you how many pancake stacks have turned into batter scrambled breakfast bowls!
4. What are your top choices for nutty butters (that you swear by)?
Oh gosh, this is like asking a parent to pick their favorite child! My favorite brands are definitely all flavors of Wild Friends, Justin’s Almond Butters and Crazy Richard’s Peanut Butter. I could go on and on but we’ll save Mere’s Nutty Novel for later 😉
(Pictured: Toast Tuesday)
5. Would you mind sharing with us one of your most tastiest but easiest recipes for any gal to give a whirl at home? (If you can’t tell, that girl is me!)
It would only be fair to share my classic protein pancake recipe! I use relatively the same base ingredients and always change up the flavors/toppings etc. But nothing says GOOD MORNING like a stack of lemon blueberry pancakes stuffed with hot bursting blueberries, drizzled in melted coconut butter and sprinkled with crunchy lemon zest granola, am I right!?
(Pictured: Lemon Blueberry Pancakes)
- Heaping 1/3 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbs baking powder
- 4 Tbs Quest Nutrition vanilla milkshake whey protein (or whey protein powder of choice)
- 1/3 cup purée (I used a mix of applesauce and Greek yogurt for these, but you could use anything like pumpkin, banana or even sweet potato!)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 5-10 drops Sweetleaf liquid vanilla stevia (if you like your pancakes a little sweet)
- Handful of fresh blueberries
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Add in the puree, milk, extract, and stevia
- Stir until just combined
- Spray a nonstick skillet with coconut oil cooking spray & preheat to med/low
- Spoon batter into circles on the skillet and smooth with a spoon
- Here is where I like to add my blueberries on top so I can evenly disperse the juicy goodness
- Cook until bubbles appear and flip to the other side
- When they are nicely browned, remove from heat & transfer to a plate
- Now top with melty coconut butter, granola and DIG IN!
More Delicious Pictures from Mere!
Salmon & Japanese Sweet Potato
Chai Fig and Oats