Spring is here, so let’s celebrate with a sweet treat – because everyone deserves to treat themselves. Oh, and they’re vegan!
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 Tablespoons dragon fruit puree (I melted a pitaya smoothie pack and used that!)
- edible rose petals, garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine flaxseed and warm water and let soak until thick – about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, coconut sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and mix together.
- Add flax “egg”, coconut oil, vanilla extract and almond milk and whisk until combine.
- Fill a donut pan ¾ full with chocolate batter.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.
- While donuts are cooling, combine vegan butter, powdered sugar, and dragon fruit puree in a small bowl.
- Use a hand mixer or whisk and blend together until smooth – if it’s too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- Once donuts are cooled, dip them into the glaze and top with rose petals or sprinkles! Happy spring!