You may know Christy if you’re on instagram following plant based diets at @plantstrong_mom. If you haven’t checked her out, she’s a well known instagrammer that documents beautiful vegan recipes, both hers and those within her community of vegan friends. We’re lucky to have her share some of her personal thoughts as well as her most favorite recipe (it looks amazingly good!).
Why and how did you get started on a plant based diet?
1. I started eating a plant-based diet in January of 2011. I was previously a vegetarian for ethical reasons. After an unexpected and life-changing surgery, I had a hard time accepting life on its new terms. I became very anxious and developed severe Acid Reflux. The doctors and specialists I saw all prescribed a bunch of medication. I was in chronic pain from the acid burning my system each day. Nothing was working. One day, I discovered a documentary from Kris Carr called, Crazy, Sexy, Cancer. In it, the documentary described the connection between diet and healing. This resonated with me. I was desperate to start feeling good again. So, I read Kris’ book about her plant-based diet and never looked back. I was able to heal my acid reflux 100%. I have been eating this way since and I am full of energy and thriving.
Has it been difficult adapting to a vegan diet?
2. Living this way, hasn’t been difficult. The only obstacles I’ve noticed thus far, is not being able to enjoy all the amazing foods in the plant kingdom due to my sons’ food allergies. They can’t have any tree nuts, peanuts, coconut, lentils, peas, and more. We are limited in that respect and it’s a challenge to be safe.
What are some benefits to adopting a vegan health lifestyle?
3. The health benefits I’ve noticed since eating this way include increased energy, improved immune system, weight loss, low cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and clearer skin. I am amazed how great I feel eating this way. Plus, I enjoy eating in abundance. There is no calorie counting involved. It’s a joy to eat and live this way.
Here’s a wonderful recipe my family and I enjoy.
Raspberry Ice Cream Cake
2 C rolled oats
1/2 C sunflower seed butter
1 C dates
6 T date water
1. Soak dates for crust in hot water for 5-10 minutes.
2. Place oats into the food processor and pulse a few times.
3. Add dates, sunflower seed butter, and date water to the food processor . Mix until the crust mixture is sticky.
5. Press crust mixture into mini tart pans. Place into freezer to chill and firm up.
6. Add ice cream ingredients into a blender or clean food processor. Blend until well mixed and creamy.
7. Place ice cream on top of crust . Place ice cream cake into the freezer to firm up for about an hour or two.